“The most successful person is the one with the best information.”

 Benjamin Disraeli

 

 

Seagate Technology PLC has published a report on data usage. It was compiled after a survey of 1,500 leading companies in the world (500-Asia-Pacific region with Japan, 475-Europe, 375-North America and 150-China).

 

Data is a reusable representation of information in a formalized form suitable for transmission, communication, or processing (defined by ISO/IEC 2382-1:1993).

 

When increasing the accumulation of volumes of relevant data, the quality of management and their use is important. IDC estimates that company data will increase by 42.2% per year in the coming years.

 

 

What the study made clear: only 32% of the data is used by corporations to some extent – and the remaining 68% do not attract any attention.

 

What does the endless meaningless accumulation of data lead to? Psychologists call this either “pathological accumulation”, ” syllogomania “or, if figuratively,”Plyushkin’s syndrome”. The English version is hoarding (from the English hoard – “stock”).

According to the classification of diseases, hording is a mental disorder. Nowadays, digital Hoarding is added to traditional hoarding, which can affect both people and entire organizations.

Digital chording during Big Data affects almost all companies. They believe that it is possible to store everything that can be used, provided that the cost of storage is constantly reduced.

At the same time, the damage from redundant data is enormous and is not only related to the direct costs of energy, space, and maintenance, but, crucially, to the analysis of critically large data.

 

Recommendations:

 

* Develop regulations for the relevance of data – if they haven’t been used for several years, they probably won’t be needed;

  • Do not create isolated dumps from data;
  • Do not store raw and flawed, containing errors, the data;

* Develop methods for algorithmic formalization of archives (like two or three good thoughts from a book you read-it doesn’t matter how you came to the conclusion, it’s important to know what it is).

 

Main obstacles to effective data management:

1) inability to use the received data;

2) inability to manage stored data;

3) collecting not all potentially available data;

4) insufficient security of the collected data;

5) uneven availability of disparate databases.

 

And this is not even touching the security of the data…

 

Forecast-the main challenge in the near future is managing data in cloud and hybrid environments.

 

According to forecasts, the main challenge that companies will face in the field of data management in the next two years will be.

 

As a result, companies that can effectively use their data will become competitive in the next 2-3 years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GPD Host Contacts
GPD Host Social
Pay with Confidence

Copyright © 2015 - 2020 GPD Host All right reserved.